Saturday, March 24, 2018

Procedures For Identifying A New Discovery

Let's look at my procedure when encountering a potential new discovery
I find something different, odd, out of place...call it what you will, it's an anomaly.

Click images for large size.

In the photo is a 2017-P Ellis Island Quarter, lightly circulated, found in a mixed bank roll. This specimen has extra metal below Mr Ellis' chin, behind his head, under his nose, and in front of his eyebrow. Ellis Jr has a bit of extra metal between his lips, reminiscent of Class 8 DDR's around the Lincoln statue plus a possible bit above his thumb.

FIRST: Is it Damage?
The most common misdiagnosis for an anomaly is damage. Always assume damage, them prove otherwise.
This does not appear to be damage.

NEXT: Compare to a similar coin.
This provides a reference against which I can examine differences. Hopefully the reference I am using is a normal coin. This is a great reason to build a complete set.

Ask: Is it Machine doubling?
After damage, md is the next most confused issue.
This is not consistent with md.
Ask: Is it the result of die wear/die deterioration? No
Ask: Is it clash marks? No

I've eliminated the most common explanations.

From here I go on a binge, checking for known varieties on Wexler and Variety Vista. If none are found, the coin may be a new discovery. It may also be an incorrect diagnosis of doubling, but my experience says keep going.


I can set this aside, hunt for another just like it. This could take forever and may never happen.
I can set it aside and wait for someone else to find one. They would receive the credit for the discovery.
I can offer photos and see what other people have to say.
I can send it to be attributed. I risk a few bucks, but if I'm right I get credit for the discovery - a fine feather in one's cap.

This procedure employs deductive reasoning to eliminate known possibilities and compares the anomaly to a control.

There is science behind the madness, even if its still madness.

1 comment:

  1. Hello all
    am looking few years that some guys comes into the market
    they called themselves hacker, carder or spammer they rip the
    peoples with different ways and it’s a badly impact to real hacker
    now situation is that peoples doesn’t believe that real hackers and carder scammer exists.
    Anyone want to make deal with me any type am available but first
    I‘ll show the proof that am real then make a deal like

    Available Services

    ..Wire Bank Transfer all over the world

    ..Western Union Transfer all over the world

    ..Credit Cards (USA, UK, AUS, CAN, NZ)

    ..School Grade upgrade / remove Records

    ..Spamming Tool

    ..keyloggers / rats

    ..Social Media recovery

    .. Teaching Hacking / spamming / carding (1/2 hours course)

    discount for re-seller

    Contact: 24/7

    fixitrogers@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete