Tuesday, April 18, 2017

Mail Call 18 April - 1931-S

I stalked this 1931-S on eBay for several days.   The images were a little out of focus but it looked right. I waited until the last few seconds, then placed what I thought was a reasonable bid....and won.


I took a look at what else the seller had, picked up a 1928 described as XF and a well worn 1922-D.  There were no other bids, I picked up both for a buck each.  The photo of the 22-D was so bad I thought it was a dryer coin.  With combined shipping the other 2 coins cost nothing extra to ship.  All I paid was the bid price.
They were incidental pickups to improve some of the sets I'm working on.  It was the 1931-S that I wanted.





The package arrived earlier today.  I've been showing packaging methods in videos, so I made one opening this package. 



I was delighted when I took a good look at the coins.  The 1928 is much closer to AU than XF.   I'll give that further attention.  The 1922-D is what I expected and nothing to remarkable to write about, but the 1931-S is a sweetheart.


I had to HUNT for signs of wear.  Just above the ear is a spot where the reflection of the coin's surface is a little different.  The bow tie is not as sharp as it could be, but the texture of the surface is consistent with the rest of the coin.  Both sides present an example of Progressive Indirect Design Transfer.  This gives me reason to believe the bowtie detail is a result of a weak die rather than wear.  The reverse is practically flawless.


The coin has a few contact marks.  Click on the images for a larger view.  The worst is nestled in close to the bowtie.  The coin has great luster, more Red than Brown, and is enhanced with a low contrast wood grain to give it exceptional eye appeal.

This coin sold the day it arrived.


No comments:

Post a Comment