Thursday, April 20, 2017

Lathe Lines

Here's one to keep an eye out for: Lathe Lines
These have only been found with a few dates. 1996 D is the most common.



There is not much information about this die error.  The most extensive information I've found so far comes from Jason Cuvelier's ErrorVariety.com where he lists 35 different dates and attributed dies including:
  • 1959-D
  • 1961-D
  • 1964
  • 1964-D, 2 attributed varieties
  • 1985
  • 1988
  • 1989
  • 1990
  • 1991
  • 1993-D
  • 1996-D, by far the most common with 21 attributed varieties
  • 2009-S Type 4 Proof
  • 2010

In addition to Lincoln Cents, lathe lines have been identified on 
  • Jefferson Nickels: 1988-D, 2000, 2008 (2), 2008-D (2)
  • Kennedy Halves: 1990, 2001
  • Most recently in a 1982-P Washington Commemorative Half Dollar

One of the most informative websites regarding error coins is Error-Ref.com.  The entry offered for lathe lines is concise, but explains the simple process of how they come into being:
These concentric rings are produced by a lathe which shapes the cone-shaped face of the unfinished working die.  The cone is supposed to be polished smooth before hubbing.  If polishing is omitted or inadequate, the surface will remain covered by concentric lathe marks which will not be erased by subsequent hubbing.
Is this an error or a die variety?

Lathe Lines appear as concentric rings usually at the
outer radius of the coin
That's as much as I've uncovered after an extensive search for information. I find no auction records, population estimates, market history, completed sales listings or market value estimates.  I don't know how well the markings hold up to circulation, or if it affects the copper plating on the post 1982 Lincolns.  Judging by my find shown above, I'm not hopeful.

Finding them is tough, identifying them is easy, these lines stand out like a sore thumb.  You can see them with the naked eye.  I talked about these coins over social media.  The responses were more like a story about a Bigfoot sighting than anything else.
  • "I saw something that looked like a fingerprint and threw it back" 
  • "I've heard about those but never seen one."
  • "There's no such thing"
I'm here to tell you, there is such a thing.  The example shown above is in my possession.  I found it  in a roll out of a box from a bank in a medium sized town in northern Florida about two months ago.

They are out there.

UPDATE
10/18/18 1990-D Kennedy reported with lathe lines.  Images are promising, included here with the approval of the discoverer, Mark Mills.







7 comments:

  1. I found something similar on a 1979 penny, but really not concentric like lathe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just bought one for collection really interesting coin .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have found example of well defined lathe mark on 2006 d lincoln penny

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found one roll hunting this weekend, had 1 before , but wasn't up to par in my referencing of coins yet, thought it was just PMD ( post mnt damage) 1996 D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one of these lathe cents that I've held onto for years now. I have also found a quarter that has just a single circle shape in the middle of the coin that I'm researching now. Happy to have found this page finally after hearing a lot of "I don't know, and It's just nothing", etc.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have two pennies with large marks a 2001 and a 2004. Was wondering if the marks increased the value of the coins. If so where would I sell them?

    ReplyDelete