Friday, March 24, 2017

What's Going On

I hit the half century mark last month.  Closed my diner the previous month.  Not really working right now although I do pick up some work with my previous employer from time to time.  It's a pretty good gig.  I put in a couple of weeks work, it pays my bills for a couple of months.  I spend the rest of my time working on other projects.  Maybe I'll get the farm in a better situation this year.  It's a sure bet I'm spending more time on my coin hobby/enterprise/thing.

I was poking around today looking for a part for the mixer-thought I'd bake some bread.  I was sidetracked when I found a couple of Whitman Bookshelf Albums. These are older albums no longer being produced, but they are of excellent quality ad make a nice presentation for a set of coins.  I showed them off in a facebook coin collecting group and people wanted to buy them.

I picked these up for I think 5 bucks each.  I could sell them but I'm not going to make much of a profit.  I'd do better to fill them with all these Lincolns I have around here.  I've got a pile of sets I've been working on in various albums: Whitman, Dansco, albums and folders.  They just keep piling up.  I may as well move them out the door.  I'd like to step this hobby up a notch, do more buying and selling.  This has been a pretty good month already.  Picked up a pile of Canadian Large Cents for a real good price, already sold a few to take the edge off the investment.   I've almost got a complete set fro 1858 to 1920.  I'm not too attached, though.  I won't mind selling them off to pay for my Lincoln Habit.

I've had a lot of time to think for the past couple of months.  I kinda like this semi-retirement thing.  I sleep whenever I want for as long as I want.  Eat whatever I like, do whatever pleases my fancy.  You should try it.  I've only got a few more payments on the mortgage, then my bills will be about $600/month, including groceries.  One thing I'll say about living in the woods...it's Cheap!  I've got a little money, and a little coming in here and there.  I'm thinking I can make a pretty good go of it just doing my coin thing.

My Youtube videos are coming along.  I'm getting some subscribers here and there, but it needs a whole lot more effort if I'm to make a little extra income from that project.  I've got an idea that would make lie easier for people searching rolls.  I'll let you know about that when the time comes.  In the meantime, I've got a pile of coins to record, sort, identify and sell.  It takes a lot of time but I've got some time to spare just now.  I figure I'll invest more of it into getting a coin business off the ground.  It's a natural progression of the hobby.  Just like everything else, you get out of it what you put in.  If nothing else, I'm bringing in a few hundred a month doing something I enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment